NewsSports

Saudi Arabia blocks the Qatari broadcaster Streaming World Cup Matches, according to a report

The platform, Tod TV, is run by the Qatari broadcaster beIN Media Group. During a dispute between the two nations, beIN was briefly banned in Saudi Arabia but was allowed back in in October 2021.

Subscribers told AFP on Saturday that the official World Cup streaming service appears to have been stopped in Saudi Arabia without warning.

Banned in Saudi Arabia

The platform, Tod TV, is run by the Qatari broadcaster beIN Media Group. During a dispute between the two nations, beIN was briefly banned in Saudi Arabia but was allowed back in in October 2021.

“We are currently experiencing an outage in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a result of circumstances without our control, which has an effect on TOD.tv, the official streaming partner of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. As soon as new data becomes available, it will be disclosed “In a statement to partners and subscribers, beIN stated.

An inquiry regarding the disruption was not answered by the Saudi authorities, and the Qatari broadcaster beIN declined to respond.

The official World Cup streaming service in 24 Middle Eastern and North African nations is Tod TV.

Since the World Cup started on November 20, several Saudi Arabian subscribers informed AFP on Saturday that they had been unable to access the service.

One person reported that the service completely shut down an hour or so before the transmission of the opening ceremony.

Another person reported that the service still operates momentarily, but only for around ten minutes before an error notice manifests.

The error notice reads, “Sorry, the requested page is in violation of Ministry of Media restrictions.”

One customer said to AFP, “I want my money,” after trying unsuccessfully to receive a refund on the service, which costs about 300 Saudi riyals (about $80) every month.

22 World Cup games

22 World Cup games, including those of the Saudi Green Falcons, who astonished the world on Tuesday with their 2-1 victory against Argentina and were scheduled to play Poland on Saturday, are being televised for free in Saudi Arabia by the Qatari broadcaster beIN.

The de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, 37, organised a regional boycott of Qatar that started in June 2017, the same month he took the throne as first in line.

Due to accusations that Doha sponsored radicals and was too close to Iran, Doha’s relations with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Egypt were severed. Doha has refuted these accusations.

Saudi Arabia outlawed the Qatari broadcaster beIN Media Group during the boycott.

However, Riyadh declared in October of last year that it was lifting the embargo, paving the door for a Saudi-backed group to acquire Newcastle United of England.

Related Articles

Back to top button